Saturday, March 12, 2011

Running: New 5k PR!

Today was the Susan G Komen Race for the Cure. My plan was to get up at 5:30 and eat a piece of fruit and a granola bar, giving myself plenty of time to digest before the run  (I need a good two hours in between eating and running), and I also wanted to leave my house at 6:30. My plan was not executed flawlessly--to say the least.

I was woken up at 6:10 by a phone call from my sister who decided last minute to do the race also. She was on the way to my house, I flew out of bed, walked the dog, heated up instant oatmeal, threw it in a plastic cup, and was out the door. Luckily I was ready when she got to my house and I got to the race with time to spare. I just hate that feeling of rushing.

We met one of my friends at the race and by the time everyone was checked in and bibs were on--we had about 10 minutes until start time. The race started out pretty crowded but once everyone started spacing out, I caught a good stride and I ran the fastest pace I ever have. I finished the race (unofficially using my Nike GPS App) at 31:48, a personal record. I'm really excited---I am starting to feel like I finally get this whole running deal and I am learning what works best for me. I really believe it just takes time to get into a groove.


On a side note, my sister (far right) did really awesome. She just started running a week or so ago and she ambitiously wanted to do this race and did really well, unofficially finishing at 32:40. She seems to be a natural at this. 

I'm off to shower and take a nap, I'm pooped! Have a great weeend

2 comments:

  1. I hate rushing too, however, it seems as if I do a lot of it! :) Congrats on completing the race and catch up on your ZZzzzs!

    xo, natasha

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats on the race running is very tough but gives such a high

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Search This Blog