Thursday, February 3, 2011

Go Red for Women

Tomorrow (02.04.2011) is National Wear Red Day for raising awareness of heart disease with the American Heart Association. Heart disease is the number one killer among women over the age of 20! That is huge. I know we all have seen the large focus on breast cancer awareness over the past few years but let's not forget about this disease. Tomorrow wear a hot red dress, throw on your best red pumps, or go bold with red lips! We need to be aware of this killer of a disease!


Some crazy stats obtained from the American Heart Association:
  • 90% of women have one or more risk factors for developing heart disease
  • More than 82 million American adults are estimated to have one or more types of cardiovascular disease, that is one in three people!
  • On average 2,200 Americans die of cardiovascular disease each day, that is an average of one death every 39 seconds
  • More women die of heart disease that the next four causes of death combined, including all forms of cancer.
This disease is seriously and definitely not getting enough face time---wear red tomorrow and make it a point to share the cause. We have to raise awareness of this disease. That last bullet point scares me---we have to get those numbers down. Check the links above, there are a lot of way to help this cause (one of those includes a sale of Macy's this weekend where proceeds benefit this charity)! 

Let me know if you wear red tomorrow and if I can get my remote working, I'll take some pictures of my red get-up.

I'm updating this blog to include something HUGE about Heart Disease that I neglected to mention. Most of the risk factors are preventable---thanks to Natasha and Terrieha for pointing that out. I totally forgot to mention that and I spaced--sorry! The majority of the heart disease risk factors can be prevented by eating correctly, exercising, losing weight, and properly handling stress. So as Terrieha mentioned below---Go Red and Go Relax, Eat Right and Exercise. :-) Thanks for keeping me in check!

Oh and it's practically Friday! woo hoo!


Check out this link for warning signs.

5 comments:

  1. WOW! Thanks for posting - I'm wearing red! I heard on the radio today that 85% of the fators that contribute to heart disease can be preventable...it's all about maintaining a healthy diet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not know that tomorrow was heart disease awareness... Now I have to search my closet for something red! Thanks for sharing this - even though those facts have now terrified me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All great info, but the biggest point missing: the majority of risk factors are PREVENTABLE!!! So raising awareness is great, but getting people to eat healthy, exercise regularly, reduce stress, and not smoke are the key points that need to be made. This is nothing against this post...it just drives me crazy when we forget that the awareness needs to focus on the fact that is is a highly preventable disease. Therefore, my Go RED stands for: Go Relax, Exercise & Diet :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Natasha and Terrieha-- very true. I did neglect to mention the biggest point of this day. Most of the factors are preventable. Thanks for bringing up that point. I know that they are preventable and shame on me for not sharing that biggest piece. Thanks guys!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Search This Blog