Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Happiness Project...

I have never really been one for self-help books. Not necessarily because I don't believe in them but simply because I have never really thought to buy one. With that being said, let me tell you I am love with this book I am currently reading.

I am a member of Goodreads.com and for those of you who don't know what it is, it's sort of like Facebook for books (thanks to the lovely Tamara for turning me on to it). On this website, I saw some really good reviews about The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. The book is about the author's one year commitment to become happy (or maybe happier). She explains that she wasn't necessarily unhappy before but she didn't want to look back at her life and realize how happy she was and didn't appreciate it at that time. She creates monthly goals and personal rules and commandments to allow herself to venture out to find what truly makes her happy.

I didn't realize this was a documentary/self-help type of book until I started reading it but I have to say I love it. This book mixes tons of research that the author from Aristotle and Socrates to Oprah. She explains that everyone's happiness project should be different. I am about half way complete at the moment and I find myself re-reading pages and highlighting passages that truly resonate with me.

In the first month of her journey, she vowed to remove clutter and clean up as sometimes the source of frustration is never feeling like we have the time for things and how clutter can get in the way. This chapter inspired me to clean out my closet as I knew there were things I didn't wear and I was actually out of hangers----a major sign that I had too much.

Here are some before and after pics of the closet. I know to some it may not look like a huge difference, but clearing away the things I didn't wear made it possible to spread out and make room for everything without having to wrestle every morning to squeeze into the closet.

Before:



After:



I love the new look of the closet. I thought I'd have some things to sell on this blog but it really wasn't enough so lucky for my little sister, she got goodies.

I definitely recommend this book even though I am not finished. Here is the link to the reviews of Goodreads.com if this sounds like something you would be interested in. If you end of reading it, let me know what you think.

xo Mere

4 comments:

  1. I love book reviews on blogs. I didn't use to think I would - but not I really do love hearing what people I enjoying reading (their blogs) have to say about books. I'm always looking for great literature. Might need to add this to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a great book and something I need in my life! I will add it to my "to buy" list! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Becca--I like the book reviews on the blogs too. I feel there are a lot of great books that I haven't heard of waiting to be read. :-)

    @LabelSnob--No problem, I hope you enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the shout-out! I recently got a Nook and have been reading much more so my Goodreads will be updated more frequently from here on out. There are many books you've read that I want to read and I'll add this one to the list!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Search This Blog