Saturday, May 15, 2010

My First Ever Book Review...

The Opposite of Me


I'm not sure how many of you are aware but I love reading---especially girly "chick lit", as it seems to be known as. I couldn't ask for more than a great book and a hot bath filled with lavender suds.  The great thing about curling up with an awesome girly read is the relevancy these books have to life experiences. Even though these books are fiction and these characters I read of are fictitious, knowing that someone else, even if only a character, has experienced the same feelings and situations is comforting. As women we deal with so many obstacles in our day-to-day lives that the mere hint of a character to relate to is simply blissful in my opinion. 

This brings me to my latest read---actually finished about 2 hours ago "The Opposite of Me" by Sarah Pekkanen. This book focuses on fraternal twin sisters that have gone through life living out these paths that they believe are destined for them, all to learn that what you may consider your norm, isn't that at all.

The great thing about this book is how I was able to relate to both sides of the story so well. Usually when reading, I am drawn to one of the characters because I most relate with that characters' life situations or personality. With this book, I was able to relate and understand both sisters' points of view so intently that I couldn't pick a side to root for. Lindsay's characters is introduced as an underdog and becomes the favorite but by the end, all you want is for both of the sisters to live happily ever after (and if you are reading this Sarah, we want to read about this "ever after" in the future--hint hint!). This book is filled with real life moments that make you want to pop a bottle of champagne one moment or grab a box of tissues the next--I felt an emotional connection to the characters. Sarah Pekkanen's style of writing is so encasing while light at the same time---I love this book.

On a side note I must add that in talking with my bestie about this new author and her debut novel, I learned that she had already read this book--cover to cover in a few days I might add---and loved it! She even had planned to pass it on to me that week---talk about a coincidence. 

If you are a fan of Jennifer Weiner, Sophie Kinsella, or Emily Giffin, pick up this book today. It will not disappoint. If you read this or already have, I'd love to hear your opinion of it. I personally could not put it down this week (which is partly to blame for my lack of sleep and gym visits--oops).

6 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the review! I LOVE to read too and sometimes pure girly chick lit books are the best. I love Jennifer Weiner and Emily Giffin so I will check this out.

    I just finished the Luxe series and I loved it also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like something I would definitely be interested in, thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I am so glad you liked the book as much as I did. It was so good. Now if there could just be a sequel....hint hint ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the book review, I am adding this book to my list, I love girly chick-lit!

    I actually did my own blog post on Sunday about a book I read and was saying that I own 42 unread books so until I'm done with them I'm not buying any new and it's killing me as I want to read Emily Giffin's new book!

    Do you use goodreads to track your reading? If so add me www.goodreads.com/tamarajean - I just added this book to my "to be read" list!

    Thanks again :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Steph--I have Luxe on my list to read. Sounds good from what I have read.

    @Andi--Thanks and I hope you like it as much as I did.

    @Heather--In waiting for the sequel also. :-)

    @Tamara--I have never been to that site. I'll have to check it out. Seems like something I'd be interested in for sure. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhhh this definitely sounds like something I would like. It's being added to my summer reading list right now :) I love all of those other authors that you mentioned, so I'm guessing I'll enjoy this as well!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Search This Blog